Sunday, March 6, 2016

Social Networking Sites

There are various forms of social networking sites on the internet. Some of the more popular ones would include Facebook and Twitter. However there are many others out there which help people to stay connected such as SocialBrew and LinkedIn. I have tried all of them and would like to share my views and experiences on each of them.

Facebook is highly popular and is simple to use. I feel that the live feed may be a bit of a nuisance at times in that it adds on to the concept of information overload. Sometimes people post inappropriate things which I might not want to see or know about. Blocking off the post or group page does not filter out everything relevant to the inappropriate topics.

Twitter is something that I am still new to. I appreciate the organization in filtering through hashtags. Brevity is highly promoted especially through the 140 characters. I feel that Twitter can be quite nice to use but there again is the concept of information overload. People might not necessarily have to Tweet about everything.

SocialBrew has a very nice sleek modern interface. I really enjoy how simplistic it is to join groups and collaborate. It really accentuates the idea of social groups but yet allows for meeting of new people. I feel that the idea of connecting real life networking with it is extremely valuable in that it is very easy to bring connections into the real world.

LinkedIn seems to be more known for the professional side of social networking. It is good for showing yourself and professional side. People have access to what is essentially your resume and perhaps this can lead to future professional opportunities.

Overall I feel that all of the social networks have their pros and cons, at this rate it really hard to use only just one as they all have different goals and values different aspects of social networking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chun,

    Thank you for introducing me to SocialBrew, I was unaware of this social network and after spending a few minutes looking the network up I think I may sign up to it. I particularly find all social networks that bring people together in person important. It has been stated that social networks actually make people less social, but when the network pushes for face-to-face interaction it will not be apart of this problem.

    For us Baruch students who live in Manhattan or close-by would find this networking site interesting as meeting new people would be rather easy.

    Stavros

    ReplyDelete